Before Intravenous Anesthesia Sedation
YOUR CHECKLIST FOR IV ANESTHESIA IN THE OFFICE
• Do not eat or drink anything for eight hours prior to surgery.
• A responsible adult must stay in the office during your surgery. This person must be able to drive you home and to take care of you the day of the surgery.
• Wear a short-sleeved shirt for placement of monitors. Wear comfortable clothes and shoes as well.
• Do not wear contact lenses, facial makeup, nail polish, or jewelry (earrings, bracelets, watches, etc.).
• Avoid smoking for two days prior to surgery.
• Notify the doctor by telephone of any new medications or drugs you may be taking.
• Notify the doctor by telephone if you have a cold, flu, chest congestion, or fever prior to anesthesia. It may be necessary to reschedule your appointment.
• Cell phones are not permitted in the surgical operatory.
• If you normally take medication for high blood pressure in the morning, please do so on the day of surgery with the morning of surgery with a small sip of water.
CHECKLIST FOR ORAL AND/OR NITROUS OXIDE SEDATION
• You may drive yourself home from the office after having nitrous oxide sedation but will need a driver after having oral sedation.
CHECKLIST OF ITEMS TO HAVE AT HOME
• For the first 24-48 hours, have a method to apply ice to your face (ice packs, ice in ziplock bags, or frozen peas).
• Prepare soft foods for consumption after surgery (pasta, soup, applesauce, pudding, ice cream, yogurt, smoothies, well-cooked vegetables, mashed potatoes, eggs, etc.). Please get these foods before your surgery to avoid having to stop on the way home from our office.
• Avoid drinking through straws and drinking carbonated beverages for 48 hours after surgery to prevent bleeding or dry socket.
• Iced tea contains tannic acid, which helps stop any remaining bleeding and is an excellent FIRST beverage. Moistened tea bags placed over your surgical site may also expedite the clotting process if necessary due to persistent bleeding.
• Good beverages include iced tea, milk, juice, Gatorade, Instant Breakfast, Ensure, smoothies, milkshakes, and water. Hot beverages should be avoided for 24 hours after surgery.
We’re Here To Help!
Call our caring staff with any questions or concerns!